CJCA proudly honored juvenile justice reform leader Laurie Garduque, Director of Justice Reform at the John D. and Catherine T. MacArthur Foundation, at a ceremony in Chicago during its first annual Leadership Institute last week. Laurie received CJCA's Leadership Award for her 22 years' dedication to the youths, leaders, professionals, families and communities involved in juvenile justice systems across the country.
As a long-time colleague of Laurie's, I know her vision, extraordinary leadership and dedication to MacArthur’s Models for Change reform initiative and unwavering commitment to better outcomes for youths, families and communities deserves to be applauded.
Several of Laurie’s colleagues who were in the audience rose to add personal reflections on her cause to create a fair, rational and effective juvenile justice system as well as fond memories of working closely with her.
- Written by Edward Loughran
More posts by this author
- Robert F. Kennedy Children’s Action Corps Launches Juvenile Justice Resource Website
- Juvenile Justice in the President’s FY 15 Budget Proposal
- Longest Serving Youth Corrections Director Announces Retirement
- Candice Jones Appointed as Director of Illinois Department of Juvenile Justice
- National Center for Youth in Custody Awards Grants to Receive Technical Assistance from the Oregon Youth Authority on the Youth Reformation System
- Winter Business Meeting Convened in Tampa, FL January 31-February 2
- Three CJCA Administrators Appointed to New Positions in Child Welfare
- CJCA Featured on the Giving Library
- CJCA Resource Network Awards Technical Assistance Grants
- Winter Business Meeting Starts January 31
- Massachusetts Supreme Judicial Court Gives Hope to Youths Sentenced to Die in Prison
- CJCA Celebrates its 20th Year
- Juvenile Justice Reform: A Call for Action—Models for Change Conference Begins Next Week
- New White Paper from Vera Aims to Raise Awareness about Status Offenders
- Truancy, Running Away and Other Status Offenses – The Coalition for Juvenile Justice Releases Policy and Practice Recommendations
- New Report Highlights Negative Effects of Solitary Confinement for Youths
- IACP Survey Highlights Successes and Challenges of Responding to Juvenile Offenders
- A Case for the JJDPA: Building on 40 Years of Youth Justice Reform
- The First Annual Leadership Institute Convenes Next Week