Marybeth Queral was selected to serve as the Rehabilitation Administration’s (RA) Assistant Secretary on January 1. She has replaced outgoing Assistant Secretary John Clayton, who retired on January 31. Queral has been with DSHS for more than two decades. After beginning her career as a social worker in Alaska, she took a job as an on-call security officer at Naselle Youth Camp in 1994. She was then promoted to Security Manager, then Program Manager, Associate Superintendent and, finally, Superintendent. In that role, she worked with the Department of Natural Resources and the Department of Fish and Wildlife to strengthen historic forestry and aquaculture work programs for the youth at that facility.
Governor Bruce Rauner appointed Heidi Mueller to director of the Department of Juvenile Justice in December 2016. Mueller’s experience as Deputy Director of the department will continue to improve Illinois’ juvenile justice system. She previously held the role of deputy director of programs at the department. In that role, she served as the principal policy-making official for all of the department’s programs including healthcare, behavioral health services, vocational and recreational programming. She conceptualized and implemented the core IDJJ intervention and behavior management programs. Heidi has a degree in psychology and history from Macalester College. She received her J.D. from the University of Chicago Law School.
Shon Thieren has accepted the associate warden of administration position at the MCF-Red Wing in Feb. 2017. Shon began his career at Red Wing in 1993 as a recreation therapist, and has since held several positions at the facility, including state program administrator, corrections supervisor and corrections program director. Shon also currently manages the Department of Corrections (DOC) contract for housing female juvenile offenders. He has experience working with juveniles at Red Wing and on many juvenile justice initiatives around the state.
- Written by Darlene Conroy
More posts by this author
- Closing of Larned Juvenile Correctional Facility both emotional and hopeful
- CJCA Winter Meeting held in San Antonio
- Enhancing our Understanding of Sexual Assault in Youth Facilities: Individual and Facility Level Correlates
- CJCA Brochure
- CJCA Welcomes New Directors in Three States: Arkansas, Kentucky and Tennessee
- CJCA RIYF Issue Brief Training and Technical Assistance TTA Program
- CJCA RIYF Issue Brief Sustaining the Gains
- PbS Reentry Measurement Standards
- CJCA Spring 2015 newsletter
- CJCA Winter 2015 Newsletter
- CJCA Leadership Institute Meeting Oct. 1-3 (Chicago)
- CJCA Announces New Affiliate Membership
- Dr. AnnJanette Alejano-Steele to Present at CJCA Best Practices Committee Meeting
- CJCA March 2013 newsletter